Monday, June 17, 2013

Limbo


Still in limbo land.

Nothing to report on the job front. Today, I felt optimistic. Tomorrow, I may be kicked to the curb and depressed. Who knows?

It’s a day-to-day thing. Good one day, down the next. And it can turn on dime. You’d be shocked how fast you can go from a valued employee to invisible.

And I’m not sure there is any answer. In fairness, no manager is going to tell an employee he or she is going to be laid off until the day it happens. We might steal company secrets or raid the office supply closet (hmmmm….).

To be honest, even if I do keep this job, I’m not sure I want to stay. I’ve been through these successive rounds of company layoffs and restructurings. Eventually, it’s going to impact me. I’m nothing special. It would be naïve to think otherwise. Time to update the old resume. Jump before I'm pushed.

And I’m sick of trying to read the office tea leaves. All it does is give me stomach pains. Oh, the big boss said hello to me! I’m safe! Another boss complimented my work! I won’t be laid off! It doesn’t mean anything. Tomorrow, those same people could can me without an ounce of regret.

Then I think how the last time I was laid off, I went for root canal work at the dentist the night before. Just like I am tomorrow. Gulp! I’m a goner. (Yeah, I know that’s superstitious. But hey, I’m Italian. We’re superstitious people.)

So what can we do?

We wait, we worry and try to do the best we can. Living in limbo…

No comments:

Post a Comment