Thursday, January 8, 2015

Happy Bizarre New Year

Well, the New Year has kicked off in rather bizarre fashion. Wonder what fresh hell awaits me in 2015?

Two afternoons ago, I decided to take a break from my low-paying freelance job/job
hunting/continual job rejection/general Internet time-suck to clean off my car after a light snowfall and pick up some unhealthy snacks. Which I did quickly, considering we are in the midst of the mother of all cold snaps.

When I returned, I saw a very interesting email in my inbox: My former former company just acquired my former company. Yep, that’s right, my two previous employers — both of whom laid me off — have merged.

Bizarre, right? It gets even more bizarre, stay with me.

I’m not surprised. My former company, from all reports, was foundering and even laid off more staffers (including the misogynist fraud who ensured I was kicked to the curb — karma is a bitch, baby!) late last year. So the fact that it was sold didn’t come as a complete shock.

That it was grabbed by my former former company was a bizarre coincidence, but again, not a shock. It, too, was recently acquired by a mega-bucks private equity outfit that is pumping it with cash to fund its expansion. Apparently, it settled on my former company, which was bought IMHO for a rather paltry sum.

You want even more bizarre? That mega-bucks private equity firm previously owned my former former company. (It reacquired it on the cheap, of course.) After it sold my former former company, the you-know-what hit the fan and I along with many others were laid off in a desperate, frantic bid by the dumbass boozehound boss to save his job and those of his lapdogs when the newly installed head of the company wanted to ditch the entire division.

The CEO of my former company is set to leave at the end of this month, no doubt cushioned by a hefty golden parachute. Drop the mike.  And why not? His job is done. He was hired to dismantle and prep a sinking company for its eventual sale, and he accomplished his task with startling, heartless efficiency: Staffers were laid off, whole departments were eliminated and outsourced, offices were shuttered. Not sure what he will do now. Either he will retire early, or find another company to ruthlessly raze.

What’s ahead for my former company follows a familiar path: “Redundant” positions will be combined, with staffers from the acquiring company retained; those from the acquired company given the steel-toed boot. Must cut costs, must save money. Real people are meaningless line items.

However, since I worked at my former former company when it was taken over by that very same private equity firm, I can say with assurance that the majority of people at my former company have nothing to fear. The private equity firm was pretty hands off, from what I experienced, and the company even expanded under its supervision.

It’s also pretty good news for my former former company. With a shiny new acquisition to keep him occupied, the CEO at my former former company, who came after my termination, turns a blind eye to the dysfunctional goings-on in the division where I worked. It won’t be any import to him that the division is probably making very little, if any, revenues. He has a brand-new car to varoom around in like the big-shot captain of industry he thinks he is.

He won’t see, or care to see, the head of the department and its chief of advertising slip out for lunch on a Friday afternoon, go to a bar, make love all afternoon to their tonics and gin, and never return to the office. He won’t see, or care to see, the nominal head of the editorial department—a pill-popping drunken whore—slurp painkillers with glasses of wine or hand out her illegally gotten stash of prescription drugs to co-workers in the middle of the afternoon in the office, in plain sight of everyone…except him.

I’m not sure how I feel about this bizarre turn of the screw. It obviously has no impact on my life or situation. Those companies are still in business, while I remain jobless. That’s as it ever was.

Seeing both companies go kaput was not something I ever wanted; too many former colleagues I worked with and respected would have been trashed through no fault of their own. (Though a reckoning for the aforementioned drunks is long, long overdue.)

Yet when I heard this news and pondered its significance (probably more than I should have), I couldn’t help but think back to something a former colleague said after my former former company laid me off. She said, in essence, I was laid off to save the company.

I guess she was right. Those repeated rounds of layoffs did enable both companies to ultimately survive. And I and all my laid-off brethren were mere pawns in a grisly corporate scheme of which we had no say. 

So while those who remain can pop the champagne cork, smug in the knowledge that their merciless bloodletting strategy ultimately prevailed, many of us thrust aside strain to put our lives back together again, piece by painstaking piece.

In my case, the damage has been done and is absolute: They smashed my career and livelihood, obliterated my financial security, and shoved me on an eventual path to homelessness. No, that is not an overstatement. 

The ultimate salvation of both companies came too late for many others and I. Oh, I admit I was a bit angry and bitter when I first read the news. But now, I'm wistful. Why, oh, why, couldn’t I have been kept on that much longer, to bask in the relief of a long-fought redemption with co-workers I stood with for years?

That wasn’t meant to be. Even sadder is that it’s doubtful any of the managers at those companies even remember the names of any of us flung away in the name of “just a business decision.” Those of us sacrificed so the company could survive? Don’t we deserve any acknowledgement? No, we’re the forgotten saviors, relegated to the garbage can for our sacrificial deed.

Now, both companies are free to continue to inflict their cruelty in the name of the Greater Corporate Good.

They deserve each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment