Sunday, September 21, 2014

It Ain’t Easy Finding a Job

Warning: I’m angry, and this post articulates that. So if you don’t want to read my rant, please watch a football game or HGTV.

What has my knickers in a twist? Two things occurred this week that reinforce the mountainous
hurdles long-term unemployed workers face in finding a job and the skewed perceptions many politicians have of us.

First, Congressional boob John Boehner foamed at the mouth, essentially categorizing jobless folks as lazy people on the lookout for a handout. Oh, my, where do I beginHow about when was the last time you introduced and passed a piece of legislation?

To be fair, I give Boehner credit for working his way up from modest beginnings. However, I’m not so sure it is as easy to climb up the economic ladder now as it once was. A college education is frightfully expensive today, and the job market is hyper-competitive. (Don’t I know it!)

Yet I’d also like to point out that long-term unemployed workers confront many obstacles in their quest to find job. Sadly, some of those barriers are unseen. This past week that reality hit me square in the face like a ton of rejection letters.

Let’s begin on Monday, when I logged onto to my LinkedIn page to view the job listings in my increasingly futile attempt to find gainful employment. As I scrolled down the page to see the latest cheery notes from my employed (grr…) contacts, I noticed the name of a former colleague who had a new job title at a new company.

I recognized the title and the name of the company immediately. It was a job I had applied for a few months prior. I went for an interview, was told by the interviewer that I was a “breath of fresh air,” and would definitely be called back for a second interview. (I was not, for reasons that will be subsequently detailed.)

Soon after the interview, I was emailed a writing test, which I completed by the deadline. It wasn’t long after that I received the dreaded “we have chosen another candidate” email. Oh, well, I thought, I probably didn’t so great on the test. Then I found out who actually got the job, and how he got it. Let's just say, that "test" was a farce. I never stood a chance, no matter how I did on that test.

Just as a bit of background, since I worked with the winning applicant, I, of course, know his background. It’s not that much different than mine. When you factor in my background within the general industry the company operates in (which he most definitely does not have), I could argue I was the better candidate for the job.

I admit I was upset. I mean, WTF! Why’d they pick somebody with less expertise than I had for the job?

Oh, and another thing: HE HAD A JOB!

I immediately shot off an angry, whiny email to two former colleagues at my former workplace laid off the same day I was. We commiserated and vented about our mistreatment by our former employers and the general sucky state of our lives. Cause that’s the only outlet we laid-off workers have to express our dissatisfaction. Did you think we’re going to complain to John Boehner?

The next day, one of those former co-workers sent me a note. The wife of the former colleague who was hired works at the same company. SMH! I lost out because of…nepotism! Oh, great, just another unseen, sinister hurdle the long-term jobless have to vault over to get a job.

Before you think I’m a total crazy bitch (well…), I must say this former colleague was a very nice guy. I also found out (from the same former co-worker laid off the same day I was) that there were some managerial changes that, reading between the lines, left this guy out in the cold. Obviously, he knew it, his wife knew it, so he hightailed it as fast as he could to the next best job opportunity before he was shoved out the door. I can’t blame him or his wife. It was just a heartbreaking coincidence that I was trampled over in the process.

The whole sad mess just serves to underscore how hard it is for long-term unemployed to find a job. There are certain aspects of the job search we can control, such as polishing up our resume, individualizing our cover letters to a specific job, applying for only those positions for which we have the optimal chance of getting an interview, and doing our best in the interview (this is an area where admittedly I need to improve). Most importantly, we can soldier on and continue to look for work. Those are things within our control.

Yet there are barriers we cannot foresee or overcome. We cannot combat ageism, or discrimination against laid-off workers. We cannot know if a company will decide to hire from within or chose an applicant with less experience so they can pay them a lower salary. We cannot anticipate nepotism, or whether a job is to be filled by a spouse or nephew of a member of upper management. If that were the case, we’d marry the CEO before the interview. (Call me, you have my number.) It does make me wonder if there were other times I was pushed aside for a job I was qualified for due to nepotism (though I think the percentage is small, this latest incident indicates it could be a factor).

So, you see, it ain’t easy finding a job, despite Boehner’s uninformed and outrageous contention. Jobless jobseekers must overcome a host of challenges, some within our control, yet still others factors are hidden behind closed conference room doors that we have no inkling of and no way to surmount.

Nevertheless, I intend to continue to look for full-time work (though that is looking increasingly unlikely) and hustle up whatever freelance assignment I can. I've gone on every job interview I've been called for...even when I was a passing a kidney stone (no lie). I’ll also look into part-time retail work. Nepotism be damned.


Because, Mr. Boehner, I do want to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment