Sunday, April 6, 2014

How to Find a Job (and Possibly Avoid a Scam)


Many, many moons ago, during one of my previous epic job searches, I went to employment agencies in hopes of finding work. To say I found the experience degrading would be an understatement. It was horrible.

Each time I went, armed with my woefully scant résumé and eager-beaver attitude, I slammed head first into a downright nasty agent who told me every reason he could think of as to why I was not qualified for this or any job. Or he looked past me with a bored expression as I talked. Or he sat stone-faced as his colleagues took frequent cocaine breaks. (This was the ‘80s, after all.) One time, the agent told me he hated New Jersey…as if that were apropos to the job or anything at all.

After about three demeaning tries, I vowed never to go to an employment agency again. Since these agencies make their money when one of their prospects gets hired, I can understand why they would only want to present the most pristine of candidates. But that is no excuse for offensive behavior. Who were they anyway? They worked for an employment agency, the ‘80s equivalent of a call center operator. I left those meetings feeling humiliated and insulted.

So imagine my surprise during my most recent job search that I’ve come across a few employment agencies. Oh, but they don’t call themselves employment agencies anymore. They are recruitment firms now.

Further imagine my surprise when I was actually treated with respect, even when I was not a good fit for the particular job. In one case, the recruiter told me the hiring manager is “very interested” in my background and is trying to set up a time for an interview.

I’m not sure what’s happened in the interim. Did the Better Business Bureau or some government agency crack down on employment agencies after many complaints of their foul treatment of would-be job seekers? Have these employment agencies gone out and hired actual HR professionals, not just anyone off the street? I don’t know, and I’m not sure if it’s the same old scam with a new name. We’ll have to see if I get the actual interview with the company the recruiter has put me up for. When dealing with an employment…ur, recruitment…agency, I remain a bit skeptical.

There are, of course, headhunting firms. However, those are reserved for executives making well into the six or seven figures, not mere peons like the rest of us.

And just a brief update on my search: I’ve been on about 10 interviews since late January but no job offer as of yet. I’m trying to stay positive in the face of mounting rejection and financial pressures. If I think too much about how I’m apparently unqualified to do any job anymore my soul would be crushed. I think my biggest problem may be coming off badly in the interviews.

All this got me thinking about what is the best way to hunt for a job. Do you go through a recruiter? Go to job fairs and networking events? Send out scores of résumés and hope some computerized HR system doesn’t swallow them up?

Does the job searching method depend on the industry? For engineers, perhaps job fairs are the best avenues. For publishing, sending out résumés seems to be the preferred mode and the one I pursue most vigorously. (Yes, I’m résumé spammer. I figure it’s revenge for being laid off twice in four years.)

Or do you try every technique available to find a job? I hate when I read these so-called job coaches say that there is only one way to find a job and it’s usually networking. But what is networking? It’s a rather nebulous term. Does it mean contacting everyone you’ve ever worked with or are connected with on LinkedIn? (I found my former job through a former former colleague.) Going to job fairs and industry events?

I guess what I’m trying to say is that there is no one right way to find a job. Use one or all if you’d like. It also depends on your industry and the method you feel most comfortable with. My only two recommendations would be to get a professionally done résumé (of reasonable cost) and never, ever pay to get on an Internet job board. There are two many free job boards for you to do that.

But what do you find the most advantageous method for finding a job? Tell me, and happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment