Sunday, May 5, 2013

Reentry Job


Most recent economic reports indicate that companies are hiring more workers. Finally, some good news on the job front.

Wall Street did a happy dance over the news, which is bit surprising, considering how investors and analysts love it when companies ditch workers in droves. Perhaps corporations have realized that they cut too much of their workforce and that they need workers to get out their goods and services. Can’t do everything through technology.

Now, I’m not totally convinced that the employment market has completely recovered or that unemployed workers will soon find work. The economy may simply be sputtering in a one-step forward, two-steps back cha-cha-cha. However, for once I’m going to let go of my normal bitterness and cynicism and hail this as good news.

But it also raises an issue, one I have dealt with first-hand, and that is, what is like to go back to work after a long stint on unemployment.

It’s great to have that steady paycheck, but you’ll also returning to petty office politics and meetings that can make your eyes tear from boredom.

Here’s what I learned:

You will be exhausted at first. During my first month back on the job, I was utterly exhausted. No matter how early I went to bed, I was tired and had to drag myself to the office. I even ordered a cream for dark under-eye circles from the TV. Did it work? Nope.

Did it mean I didn’t like the job? That I was no longer capable of being employed? No. When you think about, it was completely normal. For many months, the six o’clock alarm never rang for me. I could wake up as early or late as I pleased (though I always managed to rouse myself by 8 a.m.).

When you return to work, you body has to get adjusted to a whole new schedule. And that takes time. For me it was about a month. So be patient with yourself.

Oh, your aching feet! After months of wearing comfy shoes, it's back to high heels and work footwear that make your feet ache. Well, get used to it.

From slob wear to office wear. No getting around it, you have to dress up for the office. No PJs or sweats. However, I've found that each office has it own unofficial dress code. My current workplace is less formal than my previous office. Jeans are allowed everyday, not just on casual Fridays. But if you wear jeans, wear dark-wash, trouser-style. Much more professional. Leave the baggy, light-wash Mom jeans for gardening and watching stupid chick-flicks. And it goes without saying, if you have to attend an event or have a formal meeting, wear something business-like. A black pants suit will always do.

Remember, you’re the new girl (or guy). Every office has its own procedures and personality. It may be completely different from your last workplace. You may even find that there were some things your previous office did better (the horror!).

But to come in and try to change the ways of your new workplace is probably not the best tactic. Remember, you’re the new girl or guy so it’s up to you to fit in with those who have been there for years and maybe decades. Best to keep quiet and assimilate with your new surroundings.

A word about office gossip. In a word, no. Office gossip is probably as old as mankind. I’m sure if you translated the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs on cave walls, there would be something to the effect of: “That skank Cleo slept her way to the top” or “Who does he think he is? A pharaoh?”

It’s tough to avoid office gossip. Anytime humans are in close contact there are bound to be misunderstandings and petty tiffs. The best we can do is to avoid engaging in office gossip as much as possible. If you find yourself upset over a co-worker’s action, stay calm and don’t react immediately. Take a walk, or a deep breath. It may have been a silly misunderstanding not worth getting your knickers in a twist over. Sometimes a bit of humor can defuse a potentially ugly situation over something quite nonsensical.

I’ve found that office gossip is a like a boomerang: If you do it, it will always come back to bite you in the butt eventually. It can backfire on you. So don’t do it or keep it to a minimum.

Paranoia runs deeps. After you’ve been laid off, it’s only natural that you will feel it can happen again. Are you being paranoid? Partially. But I think it’s also because you’ve learned to spot some the signs a layoff is coming: a change in upper management, many closed-door meetings among the All White Males Club and other layoffs within the company.

During a recent conference call about the change in the company’s direction (i.e., layoffs), one person said he felt like there was a guillotine over his head. A bit harsh, but true: The fact is, any company can lay off any worker at any time, so there really isn’t much you can do about it. Worrying about it won’t change the situation.

All you can do is do your job to the best of your ability everyday until they tell you to pack up your desk and leave.

This is your second chance. In the long months during my unemployment, I thought long and hard about why I was let go. What did I do to deserve this? I do believe I was treated unfairly but in reality, I will never know what rationale my bosses used to terminate me.

Yet I also thought about what I did that may have facilitated my layoff. In all candor, I had to admit my behavior at times was less than sterling. I spoke out of turn too many times when I should have kept my mouth shut and minded my own business. I was hesitant to learn new technology. Those characteristics may have made it easier for my bosses to show me the door.

What specifics? Well, I used to complain about my former boss to a co-worker. When my former boss was let go, and that co-worker was promoted to her position, who do you think remembered what I said  and made sure I was laid off? She did, of course. And I can't blame her. She probably thought I would back-bite against her. I never did, but I could understand why she would think that way. I've learned to watch what I say so it won't come back to haunt me.

If you do hear some juicy gossip through the office grapevine, don't repeat it.

And if your boss or co-worker is driving you crazy, talk to a family friend or co-worker outside of work. That way, it won't get back to the person you were badmouthing, and maybe they can give you some objective advice on how to deal with the situation.

Going through a bad experience can be a good learning experience if you are willing to be honest with yourself. The only beneficial thing that can come from our past mistakes or hardships is the opportunity to learn, grown and become a better person for it. Don’t waste this opportunity. Let something good come from your misfortune; otherwise, it would have all been for naught.

So take advantage of this second chance. I did. Though I’ll never be a tech whiz, I have learned new skills. I’ve also cleaned up my act and it’s made my daily work life much better. Don’t get me wrong, the workload is stressful and sometimes my co-workers and bosses annoy me. But I don’t let it bother me and I don’t react to it in a negative manner. I’ve been helpful and courteous even when I believe these people should be bitch-slapped into submission.

Ironically, when you don’t take yourself or your job too seriously, it can actually make you a better worker.

The reply all function is not your friend. If there is only one thing you take from this blog let it be this: THE REPLY ALL FUNCTION IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

I learned this the hard way at my previous job when I hit the reply all button to send off what I thought was a joke. Instead of laughter, I had people come to desk and scream at my face.

In retrospect, the comment wasn’t funny and it was easy to see why they took it the wrong way. I made a stupid, stupid mistake. So, please, before you hit the reply all button, or the reply button, for that matter, think before you do it. It may save you a lot of grief.

So there you have it…I hope it helps all those who have returned to work after being unemployed for way too long. Think of this job as your reentry job, the job that gets back into the workforce, the job that sets you farther and farther away from the stench of unemployment and in the good graces of HR drones. You don’t have to stay there forever, if you don’t choose to.

The best advice I can give to any worker is to mind your own business, never talk about politics or religion in the workplace and don't act like a jerk. Follow those rules and you should be OK.

Yes, you are probably making less than what you did at your previous job. But I have to agree with Suze Orman on this: Take the job, even at less pay. I did. A lot of good things can happen with a steady paycheck: employer-sponsored health-care, a 401(k) plan and the opportunity to learn new skills and improve your office behavior. And that can only help you get your next job.

No comments:

Post a Comment