Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Firing Season


Ah, fall. A time of tumbling orange leaves, pumpkins and apple cider, tweed and corduroy, cooler weather (except somebody forgot to tell the humidity here in the mid-Atlantic), and football (go Jets!).

It’s a time of crisp bright days that seem to close in as the daylight sneaks out earlier and earlier.

It’s also a time of hurricanes and mass layoffs.

It’s true. Nearly every time my former company undertook layoffs it was during the fall season, usually around Thanksgiving (as was the case with my sister), or in my case, Christmas.

It makes sense: The All White Males Club at every company is currently budgeting for next year. What better time to get expenses down by laying off employees now so they don’t have to pay them into the new year.

So watch the employment numbers that come out in the next few months. Don’t be surprised if the unemployment rolls suddenly spike.

I used to love the fall. It was always my favorite season; never could get adjusted to the heat of summer or driving in snow in winter.

Now, while I welcome the cooler temps, I wonder and worry: Will it happen again this year? Will I be one of the workers deemed expendable by my employer?

Because although autumn has many admirable qualities, it does portend that winter is coming.

And it just may be a long, cold winter for many of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment