Sunday, May 27, 2012

Weekend Work



It sat on my outdated and way-too-large printer for a day. It was the folder of work I brought home over this holiday weekend.

Yes, folks, I brought work home. Just finished what is the start of a project I must complete by the end of this shortened workweek.

With friends and relatives either busy or feeling unwell, I had time to spare over this three-day weekend.

Still, I wonder if I did the right thing. Yeah, I know I must meet my deadline; don’t want to fall too far behind or have my tardiness impact what others need to do. If working for just an hour or so can help me do that, it’s a good thing, especially with more and more duties being thrown my way.

Still…why did I do it? At my previous job, I routinely worked overtime and brought work home on the weekends. And what good did that do me? I was laid off anyway.

It’s a balancing act. Trying to make sure you get your work done in a timely manner, yet ensuring your free time is not encroached upon by perhaps overly burdensome workloads.

And do bosses even notice how much we sometimes sacrifice our free time to get our work done? That’s doubtful. It certainly didn’t matter to my former bosses who terminated me without a second thought.

At my new job, I’ve been careful to balance what needs to get done with my need for free time, time I need to recuperate from an increasingly hectic workweek. I think I’ve been good about doing that.

You can’t refuse to do your job when asked, especially if another person has to pick up your slack. That’s unfair. You never want a colleague who depends on you to get them the material they need to do their job to be put behind by your actions. That is wrong and disrespectful.

Just like working hard, even on the weekends, and getting laid off anyway is wrong and disrespectful.
But now, it’s time for me to get away from work and this computer and enjoy the rest of the weekend! Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment